Wednesday, December 25, 2013

I’m Curious about Curiosity: Fostering Curiosity in Our Homes and Schools

Our school is beginning our WASC reaccreditation process. Our first all-staff work session was focused on commenting on proposed revisions to our four ESLRs (Expected Student Learning Results). An ESLR answer the following question: What type of student do we want to graduate?

We referenced Dr. Tony Wagner’s book, The GlobalAchievement Gap, in our ESLR revision discussion. Dr. Wagner names seven survival skills for students in our evolving global economy. The skill that peaked my interest the most is #7: Curiosity and Imagination.

The Seven Survival Skills:
1.) Critical Thinking and Problem Solving

2.) Collaboration Across Networks and Leading by Influence

3.) Agility and Adaptability

4.) Initiative and Entrepreneurialism

5.) Effective Oral and Written Communication

6.) Accessing and Analyzing Information

7.) (And my favorite right now) Curiosity an Imagination



Over the past week I have been reflecting on curiosity.

  • How can we foster curiosity? 
  • As a father and educator, how do I nurture curiosity at home and school? 
  • I believe much is taught through modeling. Am I modeling curiosity? Am I a curious person? 
These are some of the questions I have been thinking about. Through my reflections, I believe the road to learning has the following bends:

     Bend 1: Be curious. Ask questions.

     Bend 2: Begin exploring. Find answers.

     Bend 3: Analyze and evaluate information collected.

     Bend 4: Prepare to share new learning (visually, written or spoken).

     Bend 5: Share.

What are your thoughts on fostering curiosity, at home and school?

Make it a great day or not, the choice is yours.

Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment