Monday, June 4, 2012

A Global Career

Image credit: etiquette.com.au

By Wayne Russell

My career in education began in China.  After completing my undergraduate degree in the United States, I signed with a school in Shanghai to teach kindergarten.  What an amazing experience!  At this international school I learned how to effectively manage a classroom, how to create engaging lessons, and how to meet the needs of a diverse student population.

After completing a year and a half of teaching in China, I moved back to the U.S. for graduate school.  While studying, I also worked with my university to develop international partnerships with universities, high schools, and other organizations in multiple countries. Through numerous visits across Asia, I had wonderful opportunities to observe how quality education is delivered in an Asian context.

More recently, I have worked in a charter school network in North Texas. My primary teaching focus in this urban setting was to determine how one could provide a global education to a largely low-income minority community.  What learning experiences could I create that would prepare these students to compete in a global economy?

My next assignment will be back in an international school in China.  My family and I will be moving to China this summer.  I look forward to deepening my knowledge and understanding on global education.

I received my K-12 education in South African classrooms, my higher education in American schools, and much of my teaching and leadership experience in Chinese schools.  Global education has become a passion and my way of life for the past few decades.

No comments:

Post a Comment